Wednesday, July 2, 2008

So It's Canada Day, Eh?

Being Canadian and living in the U.S. there are times when I say things that give me away. Examples are: "Would you like to go out for some poutine?" or "It's cold outside, you may want to wear your toque." and "... I was oot and aboot"

To introduce some of my Boston pals to these great cultural phenomena, I thought it would be fitting to have a Canada Day party at my place. Most of them didn't even know when Canada Day was (It's July 1st), but everyone was very eager to try Canadian beers and pretend that my indoor pool was the cool and refreshing Lake Ontario.

I went on a search for Canadian items and came up with some essentials.

Canadian flag - $2.99 on Amazon.com




It is surprisingly difficult to find cheese curds here. I called Whole Foods and they recommended that I try some of the Armenian markets. I almost gave up on making poutine (ingredients = french fries, cheese curds, gravy), but then my friend Meagan came to the rescue with 4 packages of cheese curds from Trader Joe's! I think that traditionally, the French Canadians prefer white cheese curds, but seeing as my options were limited, these turned out sufficiently greasy and unhealthy tasting.




Also displayed proudly in the party room was a container of Tim Horton's coffee. This is nearly sacrilegious in the land of Dunkin' Donuts, but people seemed to be okay with it.

Kappy's Liquor had a surprising variety of Canadian beers including some of the Quebec Unibroue favourites like, Maudite.



All in all a fun time had by all!

No comments: