Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Gourmet Chocolate Bars

I first came upon Vosges chocolate bars when I was in search of the Bacon Bar. Yes... it is what it sounds like -- a chocolate bar with bits of bacon sprinkled throughout. Some of you may think it is gross, but everyone who has tried thinks, "yum!". If you think about how good pancakes, syrup and bacon taste then you may be able to imagine the goodness that is the Bacon Bar.

Apparently they sell Vosges at Whole Foods (or Whole Paycheck as one of my old professors likes to call it), but I found them at the same gourmet store in Copley, Gourmet Boutique, that I found the elusive Haribou Fruity Smarties at.

On a repeat visit I tried the following two bars:



Woolloomooloo Bar - Roasted and Salted Macadamia Nuts, Indonesia Coconut, Hemp Seeds,
Deep Milk Chocolate
I had a hard time tasting the hemp seeds, although I'm not sure what a hemp seed would taste like other than crunchy.



Barcelona Bar - Hickory Smoked Almonds, Grey Sea Salt and Deep Milk Chocolate
Of the two, I enjoyed this one much more. There is something about the taste of chocolate with a little hint of salt that brings out the flavour. Maybe that's why I enjoyed the bacon one so much.

At nearly 8 bucks a bar, it is a pretty pricey treat, but I definitely think the Bacon Bar is worth trying for the taste and for the novelty value.

No comments: