Monday, August 18, 2008

Authentic Japanese Feast - Part III

This is the final installment in my three-part Japanese feast. Tonight I will feature our desserts and an extra special Japanese breakfast!

We had two different desserts. The first was vanilla ice cream mochi. For those who have not tried mochi, it is a rice paste that is sticky and it often surrounds a small ball of ice cream. So cute and round.



Then we tried a very famous brand of cookie with some green tea. I'm not sure why this cookie is called "chocolat blanc et langue de chat". That translates into "white chocolate and tongue of cat". It makes it sound like a witch cookie.



I told my Japanese friend that I worked in vitamin K research and that I had heard of a natto being very rich in a certain form of vitamin K, but that I had never tried it. She was kind enough to go out an buy some natto for me to try!



Natto is a fermented soybean product that is a very common breakfast food served with white rice. The beans are rich in vitamin K because the bacteria that ferments it makes vitamin K! It is quite stinky and as you can see very goopy. The goop is much like okra goop but thicker.



Here you can see that I'm not quite sure if I should swallow it and my silly man friend is laughing at me. I'm not sure if I would replace my usual breakfast of yogurt and fruit or eggs on an English muffin, but it's good to know that I have options!

No comments: