Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Shmish with Rice and Vegetables

I discovered this vegetarian "fish" when eating at Buddha's Delight across the street from our apartment.

Then I was even happier when I found it in the vegetarian "meats" section of my local Asian grocer! So here is Shmish prepared in a clay pot (which is actually a ceramic pot, since I do not own a clay pot)





The best part about Shmish is that it is molded to look like fish complete with scales. I think the mild "fishy" flavor comes from the seaweed that it is wrapped around. It comes frozen, but thaws really quickly.




I cut it up and mashed it around with some minced ginger, this interesting cilantro paste thing that is a Goya product, soy sauce, Sriracha hot sauce, lemon juice, shallots and minced garlic. Then I chopped up some red bell pepper and broccoli and just zapped in the micro-onde for about 5 minutes, then stirred it up and zapped again for another 3.






It was served with white rice and some fresh herbs (cilantro, green onions and basil). Yum!

No comments: